Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Half Calf Soy Socks

I started this sock project on Sunday, when I went to meet some of the local knitting folks at Border's. I had the most wonderful time! Chanda invited me on the Mississippi Knitters group on Ravelry. I met Brenda (harrower), Lisa (dragonmom), and Clyde (who doesn't do online groups). I also met another very great guy whose name escapes me at the moment. Brenda showed me a wonderful trick of picking up dropped stitches knit-wise and purl-wise with a small crochet hook. That has already saved my butt on this project.



www.flickr.com






On to the sock... I made it through the Heel of Death Fire Swamp last night. I did have to jump over several frogs and re-knit my way out by a new path. Specifically, I abandoned the pattern instructions and followed the guidance of Cat Bordhi (New Pathways for Sock Knitters). I was lucky enough to find a video from her posted on saveknitting.com.




I ended up not doing it perfectly, but I was just too glad to have escaped with my life to go back this time. I somehow came out two stitches short, which I fudged back in with two M1s in the center above the heel area. I've also drawn myself a picture of the winding path of the knit-wrap-turn-purl-wrap-turn maze. It still doesn't completely make sense to me. I don't see how to come out of that going the right direction, with the right number of wrap-turns. Maybe I will become enlightened when I do this sock's mate.

No comments: