Monday, October 22, 2007

Ponchette



www.flickr.com






This is the ponchette/capelet I'm working on now. It's hard to capture the alternating lattice/eyelash rows in a photograph. I may try again to take a closer picture. The picture of the row markers is something I took to post to the knitting message group. I added it to the collection just because it has such a strange effect. I think I used a slow flash on that one.

Anyway, about the ponchette! I started with the pattern at http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/khs-ponchette.html. I reversed the pattern to knit from the top down, rather than from the bottom up. For the increases I used knit in the front & back of the stitches to increase. I knitted the neckline with both the eyelash and lattice yarns held together, on size 11 needles. I switched to size 9 needles for the body, which I'm knitting by alternating two rows of eyelash with two rows of lattice. Since the eyelash called for 11, and the lattice called for 6, that seemed like a good compromise. I do like the gauge I'm getting with the 9s, but the neckline came out much bigger than I would have wanted. I think that when I'm finished knitting the whole thing, I'll have to go back and cinch up the neck. That shouldn't be too difficult. I may weave a strand of eyelash around, or I might actually crochet an inner band.

No comments: