Friday, November 2, 2007

Rippit, Rippit

On Wednesday I worked the sock up to the last row. Yesterday I got a lot of good info from folks on the group forums at Ravelry. I learned that I had basically only done half the heel turn. After doing more web research and pondering this, I ripped the sucker out. There's no sense finishing one sock that had such major things wrong with it, when the whole point of this pair is to learn how to do it right.

So, I started with the Turkish Cast-on again. This time, though, I used Hellchick's toeupsocks Toe Shaping. The only difference is that she uses the figure eight cast-on. This gave me a really lovely rounded toe. The before picture is on the left, and the after picture is on the right.


This toe makes me really happy. I think it's going to be well worth it to have frogged it. I also discovered the rest of Cat Bordhi's videos on constructing a short-row heel.

I stumbled across the Universal toe-up sock formula on Knitty.com, too. I had a lot of fun creating a spreadsheet and plugging the formulas in for this. I haven't followed it exactly so far, but it will make a very helpful guideline for the rest of the sock.

The tedious details are: Cast on using Turkish Cast-on with 8 wraps (16 sts per circular needle). Worked 8 rows with increases every other row, making 32 sts - 11 sts on each of 1st 2 DPNs, 10 on 3rd DPN.

1 comment:

LaLa said...

I won't show you a picture of my first toe up socks. Yours are much better looking.